Our Cadets, and the volunteers who support them, make a substantial contribution to the future of our Nation through their dedication to the aims and vision of The Navy League of Canada. It is important for the Navy League to recognize these efforts through a comprehensive Awards and Recognition program. Given that effective recognition programs can be a critical factor in the retention of cadets and volunteers alike, and can also create public awareness opportunities, it is in the best interest of each branch to be proactive and discuss with volunteers, Officers & cadets over the next few weeks.
This year’s deadline for the Navy League Medal of excellence award applications is February 19th
The Application Process
To nominate any individual or organization for an award, complete the NL(104)E Award Application Form. Submit this form, along with any supporting documentation, to the appropriate authority in the nominee’s chain-of-command:
- If the person being nominated is a cadet or staff at a corps, the application should go to the corps’ Commanding Officer.
- If the person being nominated is a corps CO, branch member or a community supporter, then the application goes to the branch.
- If the person being nominated is a Branch President, Division Member, Division or RCSU Staff Officer or a Division Supporter then the application goes to Bev Lovell at division.
Sea Cadet Awards
Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Division Music Award
May be awarded annually to recognize the effort of a Sea Cadet in the pursuit of musical excellence. Nominee must meet the following criteria:
- The applicant is a member of an authorized Sea Cadet Band;
- To have completed a minimum of two years service as a member of a Cadet Band;
- To be an level IV instrumentalist – this is to be the minimum requirement for a nomination;
- To have contributed outstanding participation in Cadet Parades,
- maintained an outstanding dress, deportment, drill, conduct, manner and dependability.
The award is in the form of a Division Music Certificate and/or Trophy.
Corps Officers engagements or performances for his/her Cadet Corps and/or Navy League Branch;
- To have demonstrated outstanding loyalty to his/her Cadet Corps;
- To have shown exceptional dedication and leadership to the Cadet Music Training Program and to nominate a cadet for this award using the following procedure:
- Complete National Award Application NL 104, along with the Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Music Award Nomination Form
Navy League Medal of Excellence
May be awarded annually to the most proficient Navy League Cadets and Royal Canadian Sea Cadets within each Division. To be eligible for this award, the cadet must have:
- Attended a minimum of 80% of all activities in the current training year
- Achieved the rank of Petty Officer first class or higher
- Consistently set an outstanding personal example of dress and deportment
- Demonstrated a thorough grasp of cadet training, as indicated by promotions, examinations and previous awards
- Demonstrated good citizenship through community service activities.
The Award is in the form of a certificate and a medal to be worn on the right breast of the uniform. The Award will be issued by the National Office for presentation by the Branch. The award is issued based on a quota of 1 medal for every 200 cadets (or part thereof), excluding the medal awarded each to Division Cadet of the Year.
Corps Officers may nominate a cadet for this award using the following procedure:
- Complete NL (104) Award Application Form
- Cadet Information Card (CIC) for Sea Cadets;
- Commanding Officer Letter of Recommendation
- Branch President Letter of Recommendation
- Cadet Resume
- Cadet Biography (impact of the Cadet Program)
- Photo of Cadet Applicant participating in the program
Corps Commanding Officers will review the applications, and if supportive, endorse the application by attaching a letter of reference and asking the cadet to submit a resume, a 1-2 page biography of their cadet experience, and a photo in uniform (photos are not used for evaluation, but may be used for promotional use such as newsletters, websites, etc). Corps Commanding Officers will then submit the application to the Branch President.
The Branch President (or their designate) will review any applications submitted, and if supportive, endorse the application by attaching a letter of reference. The Branch will then submit the application to the Division for consideration for the Medal of Excellence and as the Division Cadet of the Year.
Divisions shall select and award the Medals of Excellence based on their quota and also select the Division Cadets of the Year from this list of Medal of Excellence Nominees.